Thursday, March 28, 2013

Magic Cake - One Batter, 3 Layers!






The first time I tried to bake this I killed it, I mean that literally ...a total disaster!   I shouldn't have been near an oven that day, let alone a European recipe that I didn't understand!
After I put the cake in the oven and was cleaning up, it was not a big surprise to see the 2 cups of milk I should have added were sitting on the counter, still in the measuring cup.   Of course I took the cake out of the oven, (what else ya gonna do?) mixed in the milk and re-baked it...oh sure, that's gonna work!  I set the timer for 60 minutes but must have somehow turned off the oven when I set the timer...one hour later?  Raw uncooked cake....perhaps now is a good time to take up crochet?

Lucky for me my daughter is a killer cook and she not only baked the cake perfectly, she set up the photo shoot!  That's my girl! 

  I've re-written the recipe and made this a 'piece of cake' for you to bake!

NOTE: Eggs need to be at room temperature.  Take them out about 15-20 minutes before you start. 





Ingredients

4 eggs, separated (at room temperature)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 stick or 1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup flour
2 cups milk - lukewarm
Optional: Powdered sugar and strawberries


Preheat oven to 325.
In medium bowl, beat 4 egg whites until stiff peaks form.
In separate large bowl add egg yolks, sugar, water and vanilla.  Beat until light.
Add melted butter and continue beating for another minute.
Add flour and mix just until well combined.
Add lukewarm milk and fold in egg whites.

(This makes a very runny cake mix - do not use a Springform pan)

Prepare round cake pan or 8 x 8 square pan with non stick cooking spray.  Pour batter into pan and bake for about 60 minutes until top is golden.
Cool in the pan for 2 hours.  Serve with powdered sugar and strawberries.
Store in refrigerator.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and easy...one thing though
    What is the oven temperature to be set at??

    Thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ugh! My apologies! 325 degrees. I have updated the recipe, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know if you can make this cake in a larger cake pan? double the recipe. i would like to make it for a larger group of ppl and prefer not to make it in a bunch of 8x8 pans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this recipe last night and it was absolutely wonderful! Your directions worked perfectly for me and I'll be making this again...and again! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popped over from Danni's blog. Going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW...love your blog name. Nothing better than a good laugh! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. do the egg whites need to be whipped? or do I just fold them in as they are?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danni, at Silo Hill Farm, linked to your recipe and I am very intrigued by the 1 batter, 3 layers. I don't bake normally, and we rarely eat dessert, but I have to try this to see how it works, and tastes. Sounds delicious! I'm pinning...
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete